Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Go to Skool Skool!

I arrived in Istanbul almost two weeks ago, and now I've finally had my first studio class. Considering I was told classes start a week ago, I've definitely waited long enough.
Located far in the Asian suburbs, it takes me 45 minutes to get to school. So today I was prepared, woke up early, expected to be AMAZED by a city deep in architectural tradition. Naturally, I arrive, and I am the only student who manages to show up.

Studio is held in my professor's office rather than a real classroom, and the syllabus is flexible. By flexible, I mean Flexible. One of the first things Prof. Murat suggested was that we change the studio hours from 9AM on Tuesday to Wednesday afternoon because "9 is so early, and traffic is so bad!" He also wondered if I would personally prefer for the exchange students to be separate from the Turkish students...As if that should be an option?

After a discussion on possible projects, and the current urban planning of Istanbul, I was sent off (not even an hour later) to spend another 45 minutes on the bus home. I think that perhaps my education in Istanbul is mostly independent. Hopefully I will have the discipline...
Architecture department at Yeditepe. Don't be fooled by this nice skylight, it takes all of 5 seconds to walk around the offices.
The hallway looking down the offices of the architecture department. As Prof. Murat says, "I hate this campus. The design is awful."
Yeditepe Campus. Founded by Bedrettin Dalan, former mayor of Istanbul, who paid for this lovely university with extorted public money. He is now the on the run from the police.
Arts Building at Yeditepe, complete with cute stray dogs guarding it. The entire campus of around 15,000 students was built over a short period of nine months under lax labour laws, and questionable construction. One of the few private universities in Istanbul, Yeditepe has enough rich students in attendance that they probably have their own Turkish version of Gossip Girl here. However, it is located in the poorer neighbourhood of Kayisdagi, and the gap between the rich and the poor is very visible. Take a walk around Kayisdagi, and it is mostly filled with half built residential buildings, garbage, one shoddy bar, and empty streets. Very depressing indeed.
Oh look! It's me and some exchange students pretending to have fun at a gathering hosted by the Global Culture Club, drinking juice instead of booze, standing around for an hour being bored.
Turkish Artguise Basement!
A little art and sculpture studio on my street that I am still too shy to visit.

3 comments:

  1. "Founded by Bedrettin Dalan, former mayor of Istanbul, who paid for this lovely university with extorted public money. He is now the on the run from the police." At least he used extorted public money for something semi good right?

    Also, kudos for the Gossip Girl reference, right out of the gate.

    ReplyDelete